Well here it is, the start of my gift ideas. Check back every few days for some new ones.
And definitely, most definitely, if you have a favorite
game share it along with why in the comments!
(some of my favorite games)
I've arranged them by ages-ish (take that with a grain of salt)
and I've included where you can purchase said games!
Enjoy and let the games begin!!!
Young-uns and family:
- Apples to Apples - A classic game that lets each person decide what's the silliest, slimiest, scariest, grossest, stupidest, prettiest, happiest, well you get the idea. Can be purchased at: Target, WalMart, Amazon.com.
- Guess Who? - This is a great one for little ones who are learning how to notice categories and groups, as well as older ones who want to ask the question that will let them put down the most people. Can be purchased at: Target, WalMart, Amazon.com.
Medium-size and Family:
- Mastermind - Love playing this with kids. A two person game where one player creates a pattern of four with 6 different colored pegs. The other person has to guess the pattern by making the pattern herself. Very much a thinking game - I've played it with 9 year olds quite successfully. It's fun! Can be purchased at: Target, WalMart, Amazon.com.
- Scotland Yard - A fantastic game that pits players against the elusive Mr. X. Players roam around London using, taxi's, trains, and walking to capture Mr. X. A fantastic gamily game. Can be purchased at: Target, Amazon.com
Full-Grown and Family:
- Othello - A really clever take on Tic-Tac-Toe but infinitely more fun and tricky to play. Can be purchased at: Amazon.com
- Settlers of Catan - One of my favorites - a strategy building game. Your goal is to create the longest road and link towns together. I salute Celeste and Matt who first introduced me to this game. Whenever I play it I picture them!! Can be purchased at: Target, Amazon.com
- The Big Idea - It's a hilarious game - you'll have to read the website description to get the full effect (please pardon the company name, but I do laugh every time I think of how their executives introduce themselves at trade shows). They also have a "where to find a place that sells this game in your area" button - use it and enjoy! There are even free downloadable games. Have a browse through their website!
- Dominoes - You can't go wrong with Dominoes - so many ways to play them. Click here to learn how to play.
Two fantastic puzzle and game manufacturers are Pressman Toys and Ravensburger (click on either name and it will take you to their site where you can find oodles and gobs of new and wonderful games) look for them in your local puzzles and games store. If you don't have a local shop well, Target and the Internet are the next best thing!!